On Thursday 17 July, a cross-party panel of parliamentarians will hold its first oral evidence session as part of its inquiry into the use of immigration detention in the UK. Amongst others, the panel will hear evidence directly from detainees currently held in immigration detention via phone link.
Thursday 17 July, at 10.30am, in the Boothroyd Rood, Portcullis House
- Shami Chakrabarti, Director, Liberty
- Jerome Phelps, Director, Detention Action
- Current detainees via phone link
- Former detainees: Maimuna Jawo and Alice (from Women for Refugee Woman) and Souleymane (from Detention Action)
- Dr Katy Robjant, Royal Society of Psychiatrists
- Professor Cornelius Katona, Royal Society of Psychiatrists
- Sarah Teather MP
- Paul Blomfield MP
- David Burrowes MP
- Caroline Spelman MP
- Jon Cruddas MP
- Julian Huppert MP
- Richard Fuller MP
- Baroness Lister
- Baroness Hamwee
- Lord Ramsbotham
- Lord Lloyd of Berwick
The above meeting is open to members of the public. It is advisable to allow about 20 minutes to pass through security checks. There is no system for the prior reservation of seats for the meeting. Members of the public enter via the Portcullis House entrance.
For more information, please contact Jon Featonby on 020 7219 8147 or click here.
Updates on the inquiry can also be found via the APPG on Refugees twitter feed: @APPGRefugees.